In this article, you will learn how to make soap from scratch for a beginner in soap making. And so, everyone who so long wanted to make his first soap from scratch, but could not decide at all – this is your chance. You probably have long made soap from the base, but you already want to go to a new stage and do soap making seriously. Soap from scratch is a magnificent fragrant soap that you should cook at least once in your life. Of course, this is somewhat more complicated than soap from the foundation, but the result is worth it. We will prepare the soap from scratch in a cold way, this is the best option for beginners.
Start by preparing all the ingredients and tools, as well as familiarize yourself with safety precautions. You will work with alkali, and therefore it is very important to protect yourself from burns.
From the tools you will need:
- Safety glasses and mask
- Bathrobe or any old clothes made of thick fabric that will cover the whole body (for example, old jeans and a long-sleeved jacket)
- Disposable gloves latex, durable, but those that will not greatly disturb the sensitivity of the fingers and interfere with work.
To make soap
- The blender is separate.
- Plastic cup, in which you will weigh the alkali. It will need to be thrown away immediately after weighing.
- Separate glass for dilution of alkali. It can be from plastic, glass, steel, enameled.
- A wooden or glass stick or stirring spoon.
- Strainer for filtering alkali.
- Capacity in which you will mix oils with alkali.
- Thermometer – I have an electronic one bought in a soapmaker’s shop. You can also use mercury. The temperature of the thermometer to 90-100 degrees.
- A large spoon for pouring soap into the form.
- Scales, accurate electronic. I have a kitchen, with an accuracy of 1 gram to 5 kg.
- Paper kitchen towels.
Now collect the necessary ingredients for your soap from scratch:
- 81.73g. – coconut oil
- 149.84g. – olive oil
- 108.97g. – palm oil
- 47.09g. – sodium alkali
- 112.38 gr. – water cooled
- 7-10ml – flavoring – synthetic fragrance with a milky smell
- the dye is yellow mica.
Before preparing the soap, be sure to measure all the ingredients and place them in separate containers, it can be disposable plastic dishes, it can be discarded after preparation. Lay out all the tools so that they are on hand, on the surface on which you will prepare to cover with newspapers or paper towels. The room in which you will be cooking, often this kitchen, must be well ventilated, children and animals will be brought into another room and will be convinced that they will not enter the kitchen during soap-making. Once again I remind you that working with alkali without observing the basic rules can become dangerous for health and life.
Now we proceed to the preparation of the first soap from scratch in a cold way.
- Before cooking, cool the water in the refrigerator and a little freezer so that some of the water turns into ice.
- All the ingredients you have already measured and laid out in separate containers.
- The container in which you will dilute the alkali (any non-aluminum, heat-resistant 200-250 ml), put in a larger container with very cold water or ice. You will get a kind of cold water bath. It will be needed when alkali is mixed with water, when during the reaction a lot of heat is generated and the temperature of the solution rises sharply.
- Pour water into the alkaline solution tank immediately, and then gradually add alkali to the water (by no means the opposite!). Add alkali in small portions, mix and add again, until all the lye is poured into water. Mix well and leave to cool to a temperature of 50-55 degrees Celsius.
- Now put all the oils, coconut, olive and palm in a container that you put in a water bath. Oil should be melted to get a uniform consistency. And leave this oil tank to cool to 50-55 degrees Celsius.
- Oil with alkali mixed at the same temperature, the maximum difference, which can be – 5 degrees.
- In melted butter pour alkali. Be careful not to splash.
- Immediately without turning on the blender, mix the mixture so that the alkali mixes with the oils, then turn on the blender, starting at the smallest speed, and gradually increase the speed.
- Between 10-15 seconds whipping take a break of 1-2 minutes and beat again until you see a trace. The track looks like this:
- When you see a good steady trace, add dye, mix until a uniform color is obtained, then add flavor and mix again.
- Now pour your first soap from the ground in a cold way into a shape, give the top a beautiful view with a spoon and leave in a dry place to harden the shape.
- After 1-2 days, your soap will harden. Now you can remove the soap from the mold, cut it into pieces and remove the ripen for 4-6 weeks. After this time, you can get the soap and start using it.
As a result, you get a gentle soap from scratch, with creamy foam and excellent caring properties. You will spend about an hour on this process with the preparation and collection of all the ingredients, but the result will definitely please you. During the period of aging, the excess water will leave the soap and the soap will become stronger, it will be better to behave when wet, so do not wrap soap that matures in the film.
Photo taken from the site: https://www.soapqueen.com