The basic principles of making soap in a cold way begin with a chemical reaction. The chemical reaction that occurs when combining alkali with oil is called saponification. Which oil is better to choose for your soap from scratch can be solved by reading this article here – about how to choose the base oil for your skin type. To speed up the mixing process, it is recommended to use a blender, then the fats and alkalis will no longer stratify more quickly, and a noticeable trace will remain in the thick-homogeneous mass. Such soap is poured into molds and wrapped. In this process, the soap mass will generate heat, and heat up, with a transition to the gel phase. After going through the gel phase, the soap can be chopped and left to ripen for 4 to 6 weeks.
Some types of soap from scratch in a cold way, for example Castilian, ripen to 9 months.
Soap from scratch in a cold way
Before you start making soap from scratch, be sure to read the safety technique in working with alkali! The last point is extremely important, because alkali is an active chemical element that can cause irreparable burns.
Making soap from scratch in a cold way:
- Make an alkaline solution (pour out suspended alkali in ice water or on a piece of ice measured volume).
- Pour in a thin stream, filtered through a nonmetallic sieve, alkali into a measured amount of all oils (t all components should be the same, within 40-60 degrees), stir all the time.
- Beat the blender until a trace appears.
- Pour in essential oils and boil down.
- We shift the soap in a wooden form with parchment.
- We warm for 12-24 hours, for the passage of the gel stage.
- We take out and form the pieces with a knife.
- We leave to ripen raw soap from 4 weeks to several months.
Pros and cons of soap from scratch in a cold way:
The advantages, relatively soap from scratch in a hot way, of course, include the fact that the soap turns out smooth and beautiful, you can make swirls, organic inserts from another soap and much more. In addition, you do not need to stand over the stove / oven / pressure cooker, and knead the soap for several hours. You just wait for the trace and pour the soap into the molds.
The most important minus is that the maturation period of such soap varies from 3 weeks to six months, and waiting in such a matter is intertwined with curiosity, which makes it even harder to wait 🙂 brute force (that is, they will not react with alkali) and, accordingly, will take care of the skin, and which vice versa.
Read our article about soap from scratch in a hot way and decide which one you would like to cook!